Friday, September 23, 2011

Gas won't come gushing out when I change my trucks fuel filter, will it?

I have an 88 chevy silverado, and I want to get the fuel filter changed. I was having a good buddy of mine, who has his own mechanic shop nearby whom I take it to for repairs, do it while he had to fix something else on it too. But I figured it's such a simple thing, why am I not doing this? I was just wondering if when I unbolt the fuel lines from it, the gas from the tank shouldn't come rushing out because the fuel pump isn't pumping, right? Thank you!!
Gas won't come gushing out when I change my trucks fuel filter, will it?
Well, you 're right but you're forgetting about the gas already in the line, left there from the last time you drove the truck. THAT gas will indeed run out (not GUSH, but run out quickly). You need a bowl and some rags... it still isn't too bad, just be careful, don't smoke, etc... LOL
Gas won't come gushing out when I change my trucks fuel filter, will it?
There will be a little bit because the fuel line is pressurized. Just enough to get in your eye or your hair if you're not careful. I always unscrew the bolt with a stiff arm as far away as I can depending on where yours is. Make sure you shake the filter when the lines are off to get the extra fuel our of the filter. Remember which way it came off too.
if your vehicle is fuel injected , the system is under a little pressure, so before taking wrenches to it take off the gas cap. The fuel will come out of the line, but only that witch is still in the line so have a receptacle handy to catch it (gas plays hell with ashphalt) proceed with caution.
Cover all your bases. When you disconnect the lines have a golf tee ready for each line. They are small enough to go into the line and yet taper up to a big enough size to plug the hole. Has worked many times ove the years for me.
Vent the gas cap first to relieve any pressure in the tank. The only gas that ought to come out when you pull the filter is the stagnant fuel that was in the line (only a couple of ounces.)



Don't forget to tighten the cap when you're done.
No, the gas tank will not empty its contents all over your driveway.

but you will need a drain pan to catch the 8oz. of fuel that fills the filter.

Don't smoke while doing this either!

Good luck
In order for the fuel to 'come gushing out' , the fuel PUMP must be operating. The fuel pump ONLY operates when the engine is turned on and running. Therefore, disconnecting the fuel lines when the engine is off, will be ok. You might lose a drop or two of fuel. BUT you know, changing the fuel filter is a relatively simple operation. Not that difficult. But I would suggest that you observe your mechanic friend doing it. The first time I attempted to do it, (via printed instructions in a parts and service manual), I damaged a 'flared fuel line'. After that, I watched a mechanic accomplish the same task. Then it was easy to do. I change the fuel filter in my vehicle about once a year. Without any problems. Takes about 10 minutes. Good Luck.
You will lose a small amount. Gas has to be forced down the fuel line by a pump.
Good tip, start the car and find the fuel pump relay fuse under the hood. With the car running, pull it out and the car will shut off. That will semi de-pressurize the lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment