Friday, June 3, 2011

What should I know about changing the fuel filter in 95 Geo prism?

Where do I start? Where is the filter located? I think that I need to disconnect the negitive battery cable, take out the fuel relay from the hood, find the freakin filter, disconnect the hose from the old filter,replace and put everything back. Am I even close? What should I look out for? I always find the bad things the hard way. Do I need any special tools before I tear stuff apart?|||Hey DA:


First, the fuel filter is located just under the brake booster/master cylinder. That is, looking at the engine from the front, the brake stuff is located on the right side at the %26#039;firewall%26#039;. Get a flash light and look down there, follow the fuel line and you will see the filter.





Don%26#039;t worry about battery, relay or any thing else. If there is a fuel pressure, you will bleed it off as soon as the line is loosened. But you should wear glasses or goggles just to be extra safe. Not a big deal - don%26#039;t worry about a stream of fuel hitting you or anything.





The filter is held to the car with two 10mm bolts. These can be removed with a box end wrench. The top line going into the filter is 11mm. Best to use a flare wrench so you don%26#039;t round off the bolt.





The bottom line requires an 11mm crowfoot (offset) wrench. I use a 3/8 socket with the crowfoot on a 3 inch extension. The problem here is that you need to take off the bottom fitting from underneath the car (dirty Japs, why they make this so hard?). So you have to lift and support the car with jack stands.





On both the top and bottom, be very careful not to cross thread the fitting. Otherwise, you will have to replace the fuel line! This is no fun and will cost some bucks.





If you are not up to this, pay a shop $40-60 (plus cost of filter) to do the job. It is not that hard, but you need to have the tools and patience.


Good luck,


Marc

No comments:

Post a Comment